Vicar’s Relief Fund

The VRF is a homelessness prevention fund. We offer a rapid response service by awarding small but essential grants to help alleviate housing difficulties for vulnerable people in their time of need. We aim to respond to all applications within five working days of them being submitted.

Who can apply?

We do not accept applications from the general public. Instead we rely on support workers employed by agencies working to alleviate and prevent homelessness to apply on behalf of the people they are supporting.  Most of our applications come from homeless charities, local authorities, charity-based housing associations, Citizen’s Advice, and other statutory organisations like the National Probation Service.

Support workers may apply for a VRF grant on behalf of their client for the following: 

  • Rent arrears (including a DRO and bankruptcy fees), service charge arrears, or money to pay for a hoarding clean up – where it will prevent eviction.
  • A deposit, rent in advance, admin fees, ID, or temporary B+B accommodation – where it will help someone access accommodation
  • Household goods or moving costs – where it will help someone set up home in new accommodation.

The maximum grant amount that that a support worker may apply for are: 

£250 for household items

£90 for ID (this is a new grant category and is being trialled on a three month basis)

£100 for admin fees

£350 for anything else

£350 is the maximum we will issue to any one client within a 12 month period.


What is the maximum amount a support worker can apply for?

The amount you can apply for is restricted depending on what it is you are applying for; however, we award grants up to a maximum of £350.


How to make an application

In order to make an application, support workers and the organisation they represent must be registered to the Vicar’s Relief Fund. Please note that we do not accept registrations from volunteers.

To begin the registration process, click here: Making an Application.